Simon Gore Consulting Ltd
8 Upper Street, Oakley, Diss, IP21 4AX
Copyright Simon Gore Consulting Ltd (SGCL)
All rights reserved.
Four New Family Law Webinars
Starting 24th May to 21st July
SPECIAL OFFER - Register for all four and get one free.
Each webinar is £20 single or £50 company licence
Cohabitation Claims Update - NOW AVAILABLE AS A DOWNLOAD
254th a, 1-2pm
Presented by Guy Holland, 36 Family Group
- The role of TOLATA in cohabitation cases
- How and when to make a claim
- Essential information you need from your client
- CPR and costs – the pitfalls
- Alternative claims giving rise to a proprietary interest
- Recent case law update
- Schedule 1 claims
- How and when to bring them
- The court’s approach – Case law summary
Maintenance for Older Children
21st June 1-2pm
Presented by Valentine Le Grice QC, 36 Family Group
- What is the position when the child is over 16 and under 18?
- Can a parent apply on behalf of his or her child after the child is 18?
- Must a child over the age of 18 consent to any application?
- Does an order lapse if the child ceases to be in full time education, eg on a gap year?
- Should orders be made until the end of tertiary education regardless of the age of the child?
- Can part of any order for periodical payments paid by one parent be paid to the other parent
after the child is 18?
- What is the position if the child is still in secondary education when he or she turns 18?
- How should the availability of student loans be approached?
- What if the child has his or her own financial resources?
- Is there any form of benchmark for the level of provision for a child in tertiary education?
- Should the Court make high orders in favour of the children of rich parents, regardless of
the wishes of the paying parent?
- What are the special circumstance in which an order might be made for a child over the age
of 18 who is not in full time education?
Setting Aside Orders and Agreements
18th July 1pm - 2pm
Presented by Paul Infield, 36 Family Group
The circumstances when an order can be set aside
Dishonesty and non-disclosure
- The duty of full, frank and clear disclosure
- Fresh evidence
- The 2 stage process for setting aside
Bad legal advice
- Agreements and orders
- What is bad legal advice?
- Can orders be set aside solely on the ground of bad legal advice?
Change in circumstances and supervening events
- Barder v Caluori
- What is and isn’t a ‘Barder event’
- Changes in circumstances: an update in the light of Birch v. Birch (due to be heard in the Supreme Court on 22nd May 2017)
How to set aside
- Application to the first instance court or appeal?
- Which judge?
- Admitting fresh evidence
The effect of setting aside an order
- Retention of property and assets?
Capitalising Maintenance - changes to the discount rate and impact on Inheritance Act Claims
21st July, 1-2pm
Presented by Miranda Allardice, 5 Stone Buildings & Paul Grimwood, Hart Brown
- Duxbury Origins
- High Rates of return 3.75%
- Ogden Tables Origins
- New Ogden rate of return minus 0.75%
- Duxbury traps – life expectancy & state pension
- The risk averse investor claimant
- Courts allegiance to Duxbury
- Time for a revolution