Registration Hotline - 01379 740619
Registration Hotline - 01379 740619 - About SGCL -
Simon Gore Consulting Ltd
8 Upper Street, Oakley, Diss, IP21 4AX
Copyright Simon Gore Consulting Ltd (SGCL)
All rights reserved.
Our events are going paperless, find out how this affects you attendance, click here for details
Four New Family Law Webinars
Starting 24th May to 21st July
SPECIAL OFFER - Register for all four and get one free.
Each webinar is £20 single or £50 company licence
Cohabitation Claims Update - NOW AVAILABLE AS A DOWNLOAD
254th a, 1-2pm
Presented by Guy Holland, 36 Family Group
- The role of TOLATA in cohabitation cases
- How and when to make a claim
- Essential information you need from your client
- CPR and costs – the pitfalls
- Alternative claims giving rise to a proprietary interest
- Recent case law update
- Schedule 1 claims
- How and when to bring them
- The court’s approach – Case law summary
Maintenance for Older Children
21st June 1-2pm
Presented by Valentine Le Grice QC, 36 Family Group
- What is the position when the child is over 16 and under 18?
- Can a parent apply on behalf of his or her child after the child is 18?
- Must a child over the age of 18 consent to any application?
- Does an order lapse if the child ceases to be in full time education, eg on a gap year?
- Should orders be made until the end of tertiary education regardless of the age of the child?
- Can part of any order for periodical payments paid by one parent be paid to the other parent
after the child is 18?
- What is the position if the child is still in secondary education when he or she turns 18?
- How should the availability of student loans be approached?
- What if the child has his or her own financial resources?
- Is there any form of benchmark for the level of provision for a child in tertiary education?
- Should the Court make high orders in favour of the children of rich parents, regardless of
the wishes of the paying parent?
- What are the special circumstance in which an order might be made for a child over the age
of 18 who is not in full time education?
Setting Aside Orders and Agreements
18th July 1pm - 2pm
Presented by Paul Infield, 36 Family Group
The circumstances when an order can be set aside
Dishonesty and non-disclosure
- The duty of full, frank and clear disclosure
- Fresh evidence
- The 2 stage process for setting aside
Bad legal advice
- Agreements and orders
- What is bad legal advice?
- Can orders be set aside solely on the ground of bad legal advice?
Change in circumstances and supervening events
- Barder v Caluori
- What is and isn’t a ‘Barder event’
- Changes in circumstances: an update in the light of Birch v. Birch (due to be heard in the Supreme Court on 22nd May 2017)
How to set aside
- Application to the first instance court or appeal?
- Which judge?
- Admitting fresh evidence
The effect of setting aside an order
- Retention of property and assets?
Capitalising Maintenance - changes to the discount rate and impact on Inheritance Act Claims
21st July, 1-2pm
Presented by Miranda Allardice, 5 Stone Buildings & Paul Grimwood, Hart Brown
- Duxbury Origins
- High Rates of return 3.75%
- Ogden Tables Origins
- New Ogden rate of return minus 0.75%
- Duxbury traps – life expectancy & state pension
- The risk averse investor claimant
- Courts allegiance to Duxbury
- Time for a revolution