Simon Gore Consulting Ltd
8 Upper Street, Oakley, Diss, IP21 4AX
Copyright Simon Gore Consulting Ltd (SGCL)
All rights reserved.
To register for this webinar, please complete the registration and payment form below;
Jonathan Lopian and Thomas Graham of New Sqaure Chambers
Corporate Insolvency Topics and Cases
- JCAM Commercial Real Estate Property XV Ltd v Davis Haulage Limited ( 11.4.17, CA): the requirement for a settled intention to appoint at the time a company or its directors file a notice of intention under paragraphs 26-27 of Sch B1
- Re BW Estates Limited (1.8.17, CA): requirements for a valid out of court appointment where one of a company’s two shareholders has been dissolved and the company’s articles provide for a quorum of two for a directors’ meeting
- Re Webinvest Limited  EWHC 2446 (9 Oct 2017): Use of documents obtained under compulsion and common office holders
Commercial Topics and Cases
- Inter Export v Townley (17.3.17, Proudman J); personal liability of company directors for fraudulent misrepresentation in connection with company’s activities.
- Latin American Investments v Maroil (26.5.17, Tear J): the boundaries between a shareholder’s claim and the company’s claim: the reflective loss principle.
- Lungowe v Vedanta (13.10.17, CA) ; parent company’s duty of care in respect of actions of a subsidiary.
About the presenters
Jonathan is a commercial chancery barrister with a litigation and advisory practice focused primarily on company, insolvency and commercial law.
His many reported cases include the high-profile administration of the Christmas hamper savings club Farepak Food & Gifts Limited and liquidation of the largest Greek mobile telephone operator Hellas II Telecommunications (Luxembourg) II SCA, and the important landmark Court of Appeal decisions in JCAM Commercial Real Estate Property XV Limited v Davis Haulage Limited, St Poulton’s Trustee v Ministry of Justice and Imageview Management Limited v Jack.
From 1999 to 2009 he was Junior Counsel to the Crown appointed by the Attorney-General, and acted in many reported cases for a wide range of government departments including the Department of Trade & Industry and HM Revenue & Customs.
Chambers UK Bar and Legal 500 have recommended Jonathan for many years in the commercial chancery and insolvency practice areas. Described as “excellent – he’s very thorough and gets on top of difficult issues quickly”, he is said to be “admired by market sources as he is highly technically skilled”, “a highly commercial junior”, a “good, forceful litigator”, and a “tenacious” and “clear and compelling advocate”, who is “extremely approachable and user-friendly”.
Thomas is an enormously experienced and effective commercial chancery barrister who relishes the cut and thrust of the courtroom.
He has appeared in numerous cases in the Chancery Division, Commercial Court, Queen’s Bench Division and Court of Appeal, as well as in commercial arbitrations.
Thomas's core practice focuses on business disputes, in the commercial, company, insolvency and partnership fields.
His Commercial practice includes purely contractual disputes, e.g. arising from business sales or from commercial contracts, frequently with an intellectual property element. He also handles fraud claims in a business context.
In Company law he has a particular strength in shareholder disputes, particularly minority shareholder actions (including for unfair prejudice) and share ownership disputes, and claims between companies and their directors, for breach of fiduciary duty, confidentiality and contract.
Directory acknowledgements include:
"He is a fantastic advocate who has a very calm and collected approach but can turn up the heat when necessary."
Chambers UK Bar 2016
"Clients love him as he is easy to deal with and delivers the goods in court."
Chambers UK Bar 2015
About our webinars
Our webinars use a power point viewer and audio only, no cameras are used. Each webinar is broadcast live and our webinar software allows attendees to type questions to our presenters during the broadcast. A download link to access the recording is emailed one day later. There is no restriction on playback and the mp4 file can used on desktops, tablets and mobile phones.
CPD 1 Hour
The webinar download is included in the price. If you require a CD posted to your address, please click on the "CD Posted" option.
Company & Insolvency 2017 Case Round Up
Webinar 6th December, 12.30 - 1.30pm, Live & On Demand