Simon Gore Consulting Ltd
8 Upper Street, Oakley, Diss, IP21 4AX
Copyright Simon Gore Consulting Ltd (SGCL)
All rights reserved.
Join our mailing list and get exclusive offers and group deals
Elderly Client 2019 Conference
April 11th, London, 9.30am - 5pm
Register for just £165 per person (3 for 2 Group Deal)
The aim of the conference is to create an affordable event which offers attendees with a wide range of view points to help advise private elder clients from tax planning, welfare decisions through case studies and practical application.
Our one day conference will give attendees the ability to learn from a diverse range of solicitors and counsel to formulate a comprehensive tool kit to take back to the office.
Who should attend?
Solicitors and professionals involved in advising clients of wills, probate administration, lieftime planning, deputies, and court of administration specialists.
CPD - 6 hours (SRA Competence A2)
9.30 The Financial Social Worker
- Emotional side of financial planning.
- Person’s needs versus the family’s wants.
- Impact of life expectancy.
- Cash v Annuity v Investment.
- Why or why not.
- Common mistakes.
Ian MacKendrick, Frenkel Topping
10.00 Recent developments in statutory wills and lifetime gift applications
- Statutory wills update
- Lifetime gifts update
- The Court's approach to ratification of gifts
- Lessons and practical tips following PBC v JMA & Others
Deborah Nicholls-Carr & Alice Tomlin, Withers
10.45 Morning break
11.00 Domicile, cross border administration and lifetime planning issues
- The Court’s approach to determining domicile (case law)
- General law domicile distinguished from UK IHT deemed domicile
- Case study involving English domicile of origin leaver
- Case study involving non-English domicile of origin joiner
- Lifetime planning key issues: UK IHT and asset succession
- Key issues on death: UK IHT and asset succession
Toby Bishop, Field Court Chambers
James Ward & Joseph Austin, Kingsley Napley
12.00 LPA Drafting and future proofing your advice
- How to get to the right means
- Essential tips in drafting an LPA
- Replacement attorney provisions
- Getting the identify of the certificate provider
- Registering the LPA
- Questions needed when taking instructions from the donor
- Supervisory instructions/preferences in the LPA
- Making sure the donor has capacity
Jenny Cutts, Wedlake Bell
12.45 Questions & Lunch
13.30 Understanding the NICE Guidelines
- An introduction to the Guidelines
- Supported decision making vs best interests decision making
- The importance of communication in supporting decision making
- Practical steps to aid communication
- Advance care planning
Debra Powell QC, Serjeants' Inn
14.00 Innovation: using the CoP and your imagination
- HFEAct & fertility
- The CoP? Quite possibly the best protective jurisdiction in the world. Here’s why.
- JMA from the inside
- Divorce, HNW and how the CoP can help
Sophia Roper, Serjeant's Inn
14.45 Financial Abuse: A Civil Recovery Primer
- Detecting and investigating financial abuse – identifying the hallmarks and
assembling a case.
- Routes to recovery – what’s in the tool kit? Injunctions, orders for accounts, and
- To issue, or not to issue? Best interests considerations, authority to litigate, and
how to proceed when intended beneficiaries go rogue.
Charlotte John, Hardwicke Chambers
15.30 Afternoon break
15.45 Mental capacity, medical assessments and the court of protection
Karon Walton, Hegarty LLP and Tim Farmer, TSF Consultants
16.30 Care home fees and NHS Funding Issues
- NHS Continuing Healthcare – what it is and who is eligible?
- The assessment process
- Challenging a ‘not eligible’ decision
Alison Meacher, Hardwicke Chamber & Mea North, Moore Blatch
Registration Form - £165 to attend
3 for 2 Group Offer
6 hours CPD
We operate a paperless conference system whereby presentations are emailed to attendees before the start of the event and attendees can either bring their own devices or print out as necessary. We also offer a printed option service for just £10 per copy.
Other ways to register
Call us on 01379 740619